Required Board Trainings:
Step 1: FOUNDATIONS Essentials
(formerly named FOUNDATIONS Leader Orientation)
FOUNDATIONS Essentials (formerly named FOUNDATIONS Leader Orientation) is available NOW in both English and Spanish.
FOUNDATIONS Essentials is an introductory course for new PTA Leaders. All board members are required to complete it ONLY ONCE in their PTA service, and there is a $10 fee to access the course material.
Essentials is only offered online through Texas PTA and can be accessed here.
- PTA Leaders have 14 days from the date of registration to complete the course. Allowing the 14-day window to lapse will result in additional registration fees.
- There are 8 questions at the end of the course which must be answered correctly to receive a certificate for the training.
- Once complete, PTA Leaders may access a completion certificate to be provided to their PTA secretary. A copy of the completion certificate will also serve as your receipt for reimbursement. It displays the attendee name and date of completion. The registration and reimbursement amount is a flat $10.
- If you previously took FLO 1&2, Lott or the original FLO (only in person) than you are grandfathered in and do not need to attend this training.
Step 2: FOUNDATIONS Basic
This fall, you can take your BASICS course one of two ways!
Through Texas PTA:
Texas PTA offers the BASICS series of resources to assist PTA Leaders in fulfilling their board duties. Visit Local PTA Leaders to access recorded webinars for each of the BASICS courses. If a BASICS Course is not offered for your specific position, then you will take the Boardmanship class.
Through Katy Council:
Katy Council will be offering the following courses via Zoom on the following dates:
- Boardmanship – Oct 7th 12pm
- Treasurer Training- Oct 8th 1pm
- Secretary Training- Oct 9th 9:30am
- Parliamentarian- Oct 20 10am
- Programs Training- Oct 21st 10:30am
- Membership Training- Oct. 22nd 10am
- President Training– Oct 27th 10am
To register for one of the above course offered via Katy Council, please fill out our Fall Katy Training Registration Form
While the bylaws state new board members must complete FOUNDATIONS requirements no later than October 15, it’s important that all PTA Leaders complete the training during their first year of service, regardless of the date. If you have any questions, please contact our Katy Council President – Cathleen Pittman
Optional Board Member Trainings:
Other Training Opportunities
Throughout the year Katy Council will set up informal training with different topics each month. Usually the program will last two hours with a timely topic. All PTA board members are invited!
We are currently working on a training course for our Advocacy chairs. Stay tuned for more info!